Wittenbergs

Wittenbergs

Monday, August 20, 2018

Last Day of Spring Break

Well…  we survived a night at Falcon Lake. Relief!  My late night panic search revealed another fatality – young kid also shot on the lake.  Good news is, it seems all the violence was contained on the water, it seems if you stay on shore you’re safe.

Our last day turned out to be our most…  exciting.  It started off pretty routine.  Rod took a long hike around the park, while the kids and I went to relax by the water.

IMG_2376IMG_2380

They made sand beads.

IMG_2385IMG_2388IMG_2389IMG_2392IMG_2396IMG_2402IMG_2405IMG_2408IMG_2419IMG_2422IMG_2423IMG_2424IMG_2426

Then we decided to drive down to the dam.  That’s when things got interesting.  Long story short…  we asked at the customs office if we could cross the bridge and were told “sure, but halfway across the bridge you’ll cross into Mexico - just don’t go all the way to Mexico and you’ll be fine.”  Charley was so excited to go to Mexico she could hardly stand it.  So we headed across the dam bridge.  Halfway across we saw a security guard in a US Govt truck, so we pulled over to ask, ONE MORE TIME, just to verify, that we were still okay.  He informed us that actually, we’d just crossed the line, and if the Mexican authorities wanted to come arrest us they could.  ?!?!?!?  I quickly moved our car – and then he proceeded to tell us some outrageous stories for the next hour.  Charley was all in.  Fascinated.  It’s all she could talk about for days.

IMG_2428IMG_2429IMG_2430IMG_2431IMG_2432IMG_2433IMG_2434

Look closely – she did make it into Mexico!!

IMG_2435IMG_2436IMG_2438

I’m glad we already had one night camping under our belt.  Had I just discovered where we really were, coupled with the stories we’d just been told…  I’m not sure I”d have made it through a night!

On our way out the next morning, I saw my first horned lizard.  Sad smile

IMG_20180324_111851

No comments:

Post a Comment