My grandparents, John and Marieta Ress, are celebrating their anniversary on May 6. They are wonderful, important people in my life, and I wanted to honor them here. My Nannie is a strong, influential woman, who always looks like a million bucks, even when she's just lounging around her home. She raised four wonderful people, including my dad, Tom. When I was little, I would make visits to their house in Indiana and stay with them; when I would get homesick at night, she would come and lay with me until I fell asleep to make me feel better. She loves to tell stories of when I was little, and I love to hear her memories! My Pappaw is a kind, warm-hearted man who loves gardening and the outdoors. He served in WWII, made a career with the post office, and used to raise beagles. He has an AMAZING talent- carving ducks, many of which are pictured above (these were taken by a photographer for an article the newspaper ran about him). The Wood Duck on the right is actually in MY HOME! I managed to end up with two of his carved ducks, and it just so happens that one of them is the one used in the article! All of his life people have suggested he sell them, as being among the most talented carvers he could earn a lot, and he's even been offered money for them. However, he preferred to carve for fun, and every Christmas four ducks were wrapped up and chosen at random by his four children, as their gift. He used to love to play cards - we spent many hours playing hearts around their dining room table. Also, when I was little, I used to LOVE to walk down to Werner's Market with him. We'd always stop along the way and pick honeysuckle flowers... he showed me how to get the sweet nectar out. I also used to love when he took me to his garden to pick snapdragons - I would play with those blossoms until they fell apart! What fond memories were made at that little yellow house in Indiana! Happy anniversary Nannie and Pappaw!
No comments:
Post a Comment